13th December 2021 – Madeira continues to welcome all visitors from the UK and is offering free pre-departure tests to everyone before flying home, as well as a rapid antigen test taken every seven days whilst in the destination.
Regulations for travellers over 12 years old:
- No Fit to Fly PCR or lateral flow test required for vaccinated travellers or those with a medical document certifying they have recovered from Covid-19 issued within the last 90 days (note: mainland Portugal has different procedures)
- All to fill out form on Madeirasafe.com before departure
- NHS proof of vaccination (app or printed QR code) accepted
- For unvaccinated travellers, rapid antigen test to be taken prior to departure or on arrival at Madeira Airport, free of charge
- Negative rapid antigen tests taken every seven days to enter some establishments is recommended but not mandatory; for specific events, vaccination passports as well as tests are required
- All to take a pre-departure rapid antigen test in the two days before flying back to the UK in accordance with new UK regulations – this is free of charge and can be booked at various health centres around Madeira; followed by a Day 2 test once back in the UK.
More information can be found on the Visit Madeira website.
Madeira has been exemplary in the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic with the timely implementation of preventive measures that have secured international recognition for the destination. These include “Safest Destination in Europe to visit in 2021”, by European Best Destinations (as well as in 2020), “Best Island Destination in Europe” for the 8th time by World Travel Awards and Condé Nast Traveller's Readers' Choice Awards – “Best Islands – Europe”. These awards reflect the countless attributes that make visitors want to return year upon year but are also a proof of resilience and excellence. The island and its inhabitants have reacted promptly and safely since the start of the pandemic, implementing efficient measures enabling control of COVID-19 and making it possible to welcome guests safely.
I know where there’s a safe destination to live. Madeira Safe to Discover